CCD imaging activity as it happens

 

01/01/17: Image Processing Update

January 01, 2017

Finally processed my image of M45 The Pleiades -LRGB 90:120:120:120, total exposure time 7.5 hours. This was really difficult to process. There were a number of light pollution gradients and internal reflections to contend with. I was trying to achieve an image that doesn't look over processed or too blue!

After several attempts I finalised the new image. I would have liked more star colour but that will be one of the next steps on the LRGB learning curve. M45 The Pleiades LRGB

 


04/11/16: Update

November 04, 2016

I finished processing the NGC 281 image this evening. This is a HaRGB image (300:120:180:120), total exposure time 12 hours

I used Robert Gendler's technique of blending the hydrogen alpha data with the red filtered data to use for the RGB image, then layering in the main hydrogen alpha data. It results in less washed-out reds in the nebula  


01/11/16: Update

November 01, 2016

A busy couple of nights

Yesterday I managed to get two hours of blue data for NGC 281 and then once it had crossed the meridian I switched to M45 and captured nearly two hours of blue data.

This evening with it being cloudy, the camera has been taking dark frames

Progress update:

NGC 281

Hydrogen alpha - 5.5 hours

Red - still to shoot - aim for 2 hours

Green - 3 hours

Blue - 2 hours

​M45 Pleiades

​Luminance - 1.5 hours

Red - still to shoot - aim for 1.5 hours

Green - still to shoot - aim for 1.5 hours

Blue - 1.75 hours

 

 

 

 

 


30/10/16: Imaging update

October 30, 2016

Unexpected clear skies this evening so decided to gather some more NGC 281 data. I acquired 3 hours through the green filter before the scope cables hit the mount. I then decided to capture some luminance data for M45 The Pleiades; another target I'm interested in.

As I have been using 5 minute subframes I will need some 5 minute darks at -22 degrees

RGB and Hydrogen alpha flats captures at twilight this evening.

Guiding performance was good, especially in declination due to the better polar alignment

 


27/10/16: Update

October 27, 2016

Last night I managed another 2.5 hours of NGC-281 in hydrogen alpha. I spent a little longer than usual setting up as I'm still getting to grips with PHD2 and the need to optimise the polar alignment for best results.

Autoguiding performance was very good, with good RMS values for both RA and Dec. Sub-pixel guiding was achieved ensuring round stars in all 15 minute subframes.

This evening the CCD is busy capturing dark frames and I'll run the Bias frames later.


Subscribe
RSS
Keywords
Archive
January February (1) March (1) April May June (1) July August September (1) October (1) November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October (3) November (2) December
January (1) February March April May June July August September October November December